10 Zero Waste Bathroom Essentials

My zero waste journey started from my bathroom and I still think that it's one of the easiest ways to start cutting waste out of your life. This is because it requires relatively little effort and sacrifices in comparison to zero waste kitchen - just to set an example. There are dozens of things in your bathroom that you could swap, starting from your cosmetics to the bathroom cleaning products, but let me introduce you to 10 zero waste products that I believe to be essential to every zero waste bathroom!

1. Period Cup (or reusable period products)

This is my ultimate favorite zero waste swap both in the bathroom and outside of it! People who menstruate use over 10 000 single-use period products during their lifetime and a single pad can contain as much as four plastic bags worth of plastic. Insane right? Buying two or three plastic cups during your life suddenly sounds so much more sustainable and affordable, doesn't it?

I'm currently using Moon Cup and I'm really loving it. I did have to cut some of the stem off to make it fit my body, so I do recommend you to compare different brands before buying one. If you don't want to use the cup, you can also invest on period panties or reusable pads.

2. Safety razor

If you shave, investing in a safety razor is one of the best ways to cut bathroom waste! Safety razors don't come cheap, but in a long term you'll end up saving lots of money as the holders last a lifetime and the blades are cheaper than single-use razors or razor heads. Both safety razor and the blades are also recyclable!

I'm personally not using one as I rarely shave anymore (the ultimate zero waste shaving tip haha), but everyone I've ever met who uses these, has warmly recommended them to me!

3. Soap Bar

Have you ever considered that when you're buying liquid soap you're actually mostly buying water? Liquid soap is a lot less concentrated than soap bars, its transportation footprint is higher because the product is heavier and, needless to say, it comes in a plastic bottle. Soap bars are such a good alternative for liquid soap! They're relatively accessible everywhere and they cost pretty much the same as liquid soap!

4. Shampoo bar

Shampoo bars are such a great alternative for liquid shampoo! The only downside of shampoo bars is that it can take a while to find a bar that is both suitable for your hair type and financially accessible. The price range is wide and I've tried everything from the Friendly Soap (approx. 3€) to Lush and Flow Cosmetics (10€+). I'm using Lush as this far it's the only brand that has done its job, but I'm also constantly seeking more affordable alternatives.

5. Conditioner bar

Do you see the trend here? The benefits of soap and shampoo bars also apply to conditioner bars. I'd also dare to say that finding a suitable conditioner bar is a lot easier than finding a shampoo bar that actually works! The only downside is that they tend to be less accessible. I'm a big fan of Lush's conditioner bars but there are cheaper alternatives available as well!

6. Bamboo toothbrush

A bamboo toothbrush might be a zero waste cliche but I do really enjoy using it. There has been debate about whether transporting bamboo from Asia is any more sustainable than buying a plastic toothbrush, but at least the bamboo alternative can be composted and it doesn't remain in the environment forever.

If you're using a bamboo toothbrush, remember to discard it properly! The bristles need to be removed (non-recyclable) and the handle composted. Don't just throw it away - bamboo toothbrush in a landfill isn't much better than the plastic alternative!

7. Toothy tabs (or toothpaste in a recyclable jar)

Did you know that you can nowadays buy toothpaste in recyclable jars or in the form of tablets? I use the latter and I couldn't be happier! These had a strange mouth feeling at the start, but it's something I got used to quite fast.

The tabs come in a cardboard box or compostable packaging, depending on the brand. The zero waste paste options, on the other hand, are usually sold in reusable glass jars.
 

8. Zero waste deodorant

Deodorant doesn't have to come in non-recyclable single-use packaging. Over the past year, I've shifted from using commercial deodorants to making my own and I've ended up both saving money and cutting unnecessary chemicals out of my life.

If you don't (yet) feel comfortable making your own products, there are also zero waste alternatives such as crystal deodorants available!

9. Family cloth / butt towel (or sustainable toiler paper)

When I first time learned about family cloth it seemed a bit extreme to me. Then I learned that it's so common for Italian people that when they buy towel sets there's a towel dedicated to wiping their butts after bidet. Okey dokes, giving it a go.

It's unreasonable to expect people to have access to a bidet though! Luckily there are more and more sustainable toilet paper alternatives coming up. Check up brands like Who Gives a Crap if you're looking for some waste-free toilet paper!

10. Zero Waste Floss

When I first time heard about zero waste floss I was so confused - simply because I never though there was a plastic option. When I grew up we simply used string but oh well, people love to come up with plastic alternatives for somewhat sustainable items.


What are your favorite zero waste bathroom essentials? Have you tried any of the ones in the list?


You Might Also Like

0 Comments